You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ category.
On Wednesday morning this week I was fortunate to have the opportunity to facilitate a World Cafe as part of the Institute for Information Management conference and Information Awareness Month here in Canberra. This was a fantastic experience and the 35+ participants came away with some really meaty foundations for the development of a Community of Practice around Information Governance.
So what is a World Cafe (or variation called a Knowledge Cafe) – it is:
A structured round of conservations to:
- Create an open, creative conversation on a topic of mutual interest
- Unearth collective knowledge to share ideas and insights
- gain a deeper understanding of the subject and the issues involved
- build and improve relationships
- improve business networking and make new connections
- better decision making and innovation
- generate tangible outcomes
- Objectives / mission / goals / length of life
- Rules / protocols / etiquette
- Format and frequency of meetings
- Virtual or physical or both?
- How the CoP would be governed and coordinated?
- What would be the topics covered?
- What would our online presence look like?
- How do we know if its working or not?
- Criteria for disbandment
This is a great way to get your Community of Practice started as it engages those who are interested and provides a sound foundation for going forward by setting out what it is you are trying to achieve as well as the risks along the way.
To everyone in my network I would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas (or any other festival you might be celebrating at this time of year) and a fantastic New Year. May 2011 see all your dreams come true.
I am embedding a funny little clip on what the first Christmas may have looked like in 2010.